Review: Kiasu Espresso @ 100 AM


It seems that Singaporeans are increasingly searching for a good coffee fix all day long. No longer are the Starbucks and Coffee Bean sufficient to quench the thirst of a coffee addict. Many stalls are not coming up with their own coffee drinks and adapting their marketing strategy to suit the market.



Rightly so, as I paid a visit to Kiasu Espresso, a branch-off from the popular 40 Hands in Tiong Bahru. Only a few days old and already popular with the working crowd in Tanjong Pagar and in the coffee circles. The owners still making plans of adjusting the fixtures and fittings in the shop. The concept is targeted at people who do not have to time to sit and chat but want their coffee fix.

Friendly staff greets potential customers at the entrance of the shop, with the espresso machine behind them. The interior is a little hard and lack the cosy warmth feeling when one says the word ‘café’, but it suits the concepts of a take-away coffee joint well.


I had the café mocha, as recommended by the nice Filipino lady behind the counter, and had it served to me at my seat. I didn’t have to collect my own drink like in the traditional coffee franchises but this is not a problem for them as they only have 5 seats, against the glass wall which looks out onto the driveway of 100 AM (newly renovated mall beside Amara Hotel).


For a regular size cup it cost $6.50, I was expecting their regular to be a little bigger, but I guess regular is the new small these days. The mocha came lukewarm but it cooled too fast. I felt that it lacked flavour and body. After about half an hour of slowly pissing the mocha, I felt uncomfortable in my seat. Well the concept of the stall is not dine-in but rather for the people on the go.


Not sure if I will recommend this place, as I was not impressed. And with so much competition these days, the first try might be the last visit. What I found interesting was that the shop was linked to Skinny Pizza next door. I wonder if they are under the same owner and do they have food & beverage tie-ups?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Chock Full of Beans

My Attempt at Baking